A conversation that I had with a friend today reminded me of this post that I started but never finished. She told me that her brother just graduated from med school and hence, his family assumes that he knows everything about medicine. He finally got frustrated by all the questions they were asking him and reminded them that he still has a lot to learn.
I totally sympathize with my friend's brother. For some reason, people who learn that I'm a computer programmer assume that I know anything and everything to do with computers. They do things like call me when their computer's not working or ask me for recommendations when they want to upgrade their hardware. I just write computer programs, people!! Yes, I may be an above average computer user and a total nerd when it comes to electronic gadgets, but I DO NOT know how to fix computers!
Having said this, I'm sure I'm as guilty as anyone else for making similar assumptions about other fields. My pharmacist friends have to constantly put up with me asking them questions about various drugs and pills, expecting them to tell me on the spot as if they're some walking medicine encyclopedia. Sorry guys!
No comments:
Post a Comment